February 16, 2010

boy stuff

I'm always posting about what I've been up to.  I thought it was time to say a little something about Brian! 

I found these pictures on the our digital camera.  Brian recently got a new scope.  He is sooo excited about it too.  He's been saving his pennies and bought a clearanced last year model and when he got it a part fell off!  He called the company he bought it from and they replaced if for FREE and upgraded it to a brand NEW 2010 model (and they overnighted it too).  Let's just say Brian is super excited about hunting this fall. 


Maybe I'm just naive, but I didn't know bald eagles just "hung out" around here(see below).  I've really only seen them in the zoo or at Yellowstone!


Right now I think the most heard phrase in our house is, "No Gunner" and I just hope Emmy doesn't pick it up before "mom" or "dad" or any of those fun first words.  This little brown dog isn't so little anymore and he sure can get on my nerves but I tell you what, Brian got him so he could train him to shed/antler hunt and at only 14 weeks old he's already caught on! 


Brian started by taking Gunner downstairs for "training."  He'd hide sheds and have Gunner look for them.  Now Brian can hide them out in the yard and say, "Find the shed" and Gunner will smell around till he locates the hidden antler.  Brian's pretty proud of Gunner and I'm proud of Brian.  He's been really diligent in his training and now he has a smart dog that will find antler and a hiking buddy as well! 

Anyway, Brian and 5 other guys are headed to AZ next week and will spend 3 nights/4 days hiking and picking up antler.  Gunner is going too and I'm anxious to see how he does (it'll be nice to have some peace around the house. 

Why a shed dog and why antler?  Brian's dad has a business and makes things out of antler. Even though his dad buys most of his antler from brokers, it gives Brian another reason to hunt for sheds.  But even before the business Brian would go on hikes and look for sheds. I guess it's just a hobby.  Gets him outside and up in the mountains.  I'll have to ask him what the appeal is sometime though and get his real answer instead of speculating.  
  

1 comment:

Automobile Birdsinger said...

My first words were J.J. Which was my dog's name. I have always thought it was super cool that my dog was my first word. And I think that if Emmy's first words are Gunner, that Emmy and I are meant to be best of friends. I am crossing my fingers for Gunner. :)