Shhh...don't tell my mother-in-law. This is a surprise!
We (my sisters-in-law and I) thought it would be fun to get all our kids together and take a group photo for "grandma"(my mom-in-law) for Mother's Day. We've been talking about it and planning it for over a month now. To make a long story short, today was the best day for us to do it...but not the best weather. Trying to keep 8 kids rounded up is hard enough but throw in a little wind and a camera and it was quite a chore!
Here's what we ended up with...
I love the expression on Ady's face in this one (she's in the red dress). It's one of, "lets just get this done)
There was a lot of this...
Owen did so good! I was worried we might have a hard time with the youngest, but he was the most cooperative! :)
So I thought this would be a fun idea but we couldn't quite make it work. All the kids aren't even in the picture and it's pretty much chaos. I love it though. Maybe I should have tried the signs earlier in the shoot?
Evan wasn't too thrilled with the picture idea. It was after this that we "took a break" and hung out in our cars and had rice krispie treats - with M and M's! Nothing wrong with a little bribery right?
Break's over, time to get a few more pictures..Tessa, where you going?
The picture below is my favorite of ALL the pictures we took! I love that it isn't perfect. The baby is falling over, Evan is looking elsewhere, Emmy looks like she's blowing a kiss and Tessa is pulling a crazy face in front.
What a fun group!
Things I learned from this experience:
1. Make sure you have plenty of adults to help when photographing a group of kids
2. Have the adults stand behind me or close to me if I want the kids to look towards the camera
3. Treats are a must when photographing little kids
4. Don't tell the kids to pull faces unless I'm sure I have some good ones of them smiling. I had a hard time getting them to just smile after the silly pictures.
5. The pictures that are the least perfect are my favorite!









6 comments:
These are so cute Sandy! The none perfect ones are great and show personality! Love it. I am doing something similar for my mother-in-law. But we had no group shots, just by families! I guess I am not quite brave enough for 10 kids at once. Although if I ever do, I will use your tips! :)
Great list of things you learned! I love the candy idea! I always tell my kids that there is candy inside of my lens and they need to look inside of it and try to spot it! -- that's sad though because i'm fibbing!! lol!
Super cute idea for mother's day! I wish i had thought of that before Sam went home to Canada this morning!
Did you make Emmy's head band??? So cute!!!
just give them all to her she will love them so so cute
Sandy....the best was that I drove by when you guys were shooting on main street....I so badly wanted to honk but was worried I would have distracted the kids....these turned out so great and I love all the outfits. Grandma wanted me to talk to you about putting some hair bows in our booth for the fourth of July in Lewiston....interested? email me when you get a minute mdh1250@aol.com :)
LOVE the color scheme you did!!!!!!!!! These are awesome and I bet Grandma will LOVE the gift!!! Made me wish I could do this but we don't live close enough to each other!
I love your photography, Sandy! I'm going to be in Logan on May 7-8...perhaps I'll see you!!
Post a Comment