you need to make her one or two or three of these for Christmas...
THIS is the tutorial I used to make Emmy's Halloween skirt and I have been addicted ever since! She has her Halloween skirt, an anyday skirt and now a Christmas skirt! I even made an itsy bitsy newborn Christmas skirt for my friend's little baby!
I'm telling you, if I can figure out how to make these little pretties, you can too!
SO, if you're interested - WHAT I'VE LEARNED as I've sewn these is:
1) Emmy is a small 19 monther so the measurements I have felt have worked best for her are
waist: 2, 5 X 12.5in. strips
ruffle #1: 2, 5.5 X 22-25in. strips
(mine have actually been about 21 in. because I have just been cutting beginning at the fold so I can get all my strips out of less fabric - half of the width of my fabric)
adjoining strip: 2, 3.5 X 12.5in. strips
(you can cut this wider if you want and then trim as needed to adjust how low the second ruffle hangs)
ruffle #2: 2 6 X 22-25in. strips
**the length of the waist pieces and adjoining strips must be the same (i.e. 12.5 in. according to what I do)
**the length of the ruffle pieces should be the same (I use 21 in.)
2) use 1/4" seams on everything
3) AND THIS HELPED ME TONS...iron your heams BEFORE you sew so you have a guide for them later. Sew your skirt with all the hems open and hem last like it says. It was just easier for me to have the folds so I didn't have to measure a straight hem on a circle skirt. Oh...and do double hems to prevent fraying. I did 1/4in + 1/4in making a total of a 1/2in hem on my two ruffles.
There you have it! I'm sure none of this made any sense. But, like I said - if I can figure it out, you can too!
Happy sewing and giving!

1 comment:
sew cute!! (I'm so funny ;) ) You wanna make one for my daughter? I don't even know how to thread my sewing machine!
Post a Comment